Bricks and Mortar

Old School room at Parramatta Marist at Victoria Road circa early 1900s


1930s photo of old school in Victoria Road and monastery.
Thanks to Chris Jurd (1964) who supplied this photo


1938 Aerial View of Parramatta including Prince Alfred Park, Parramatta Marist & Kings School.

Thanks again to Chris Jurd for this 1938 aerial View of Parramatta including Prince Alfred Park, Parramatta Marist, St Patrick’s Church & Kings School.  Council depot and old swimming pool on centre left of photo.

Source: Early and recent memoirs of – Parramatta, the cradle of Australia : official publication to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Parramatta / editor, James Jervis.(1938)


Aerial View Victoria Road 1943 –

The boundaries are marked in red. It is hard to believe that that up to 1,000 boys fitted into this site up until the mid 1960s. This is probably where the term “full as a Catholic School” came from.


Aerial View Victoria Road 2011 –
Then and Now (at least in 2011)


From the 1950 Year Book – Victoria Road –

Thanks to Chris Jurd who provided this image showing the old school in Victoria Road Parramatta, now the site of the extended Saint Patrick’s Cathedral complex.

 

1965 Marist Brothers Parramatta from Victoria Road –
Again, thanks to Chris Jurd for this 1965 image of Marist Brothers Parramatta from Victoria Road.

The Westmead Campus under Construction. Circa 1965. Source: Alman Harroway


Pool being constructed circa 1966-1967

Source: Alman Harroway Consctruction


The opening of the pool (now decommissioned due to the deterioration in concrete) in October 1967 by the Lord Mayor of Parramatta, the Hon. Barry Wilde, a long time supporter of the School.


The pool prior to decommissioning in 2016 – just short of 50 years of service. 

Aerial Images of Parramatta Marist at Westmead circa 1968 – Thanks to Doug Brownlow (1971) who provided these images: Can you pick out:
  1. Parramatta Showground / Speedway?
  2. Westmead Hospital site?
  3. Westmead Printing?
  4. Platex Factory?
  5. Redbank Disability Institution?
  6. Old Windsor Road?
  7. Tin portables?
  8. Westmead Private Hospital site?


Parramatta Marist High Monastery circa. 1970 –
Thanks to Doug Brownlow (1971) who provided this photo, From recollection it was Brother Timothy who was responsible for the landscaping.


ANZAC Day Commemoration 1971


1973 Abseiling down side of School –
Source: Greg Hayes Friday afternoon cadet activity. OHS would put the damp cloth on that one. Not a helmet in sight.


1973 School Rifle Range –
Source: Greg Hayes


Last class at Victoria Road 1994


Theatrette mural 2016. To commemorate two anniversaries, 50th anniversary of Westmead campus (1966-2016) and 90th anniversary of the first event of the Old Boys Union (a smoko concert 1926)


The Morley Centre – 1993


Victoria Road then (1970s)


Victoria Road now – without the School

War Memorial Parramatta Marist High

A video of the highlights of the opening of the Westmead Campus of Parramatta Marist High and Catherine McAuley 1966, the school pool, 1967. This was converted from 8mm film. This project was financed by the Parramatta Marist Old Boys Union. There is no sound.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *