Thanks again to Chris Jurd for this 1938 aerial View of Parramatta including Prince Alfred Park, Parramatta Marist, St Patrick’s Church & Kings School. Council depot and old swimming pool on centre left of photo.
Source: Early and recent memoirs of – Parramatta, the cradle of Australia : official publication to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Parramatta / editor, James Jervis.(1938)
Source: Alman Harroway Construction
Building to the right was Westmead Printing, the building in the top centre was the toilet block and in front of that were the cricket nets (you have to look pretty hard), beyond the toilet block to the left was a building that on the ground floor was the office, tuck shop and carpenter’s shop, upstairs was a big room that was used for Marist Brothers 4th and 6th Class (later Year 7) and was a cinema, dance hall and conference/meeting room. Down below where the bulldozer is was the remains of three footy fields that Parra Marist and SVBH used to use! (Greg Goodwin)
The Cyril Shean School Pool was decommissioned in 2015 due to irreparable structural failures in the concrete. Over the last 5-8 years, attempts have been made to fix the leaks but the pool is losing water at a rapid rate from multiple points. The cost of rebuilding this part of a 50 year old pool are prohibitive. A very sad day indeed.
Even sadder, as the Cyril Shean School Pool is decommissioned we learn that Cyril Shean passed away 28 October 2015. Cyril was an Old Boy and resident of St Vincents. Cyril continuously tended the school pool (which was named in his honour) for 32 years until his retirement in 2000. He also managed a number of the School’s rugby league teams over the years. He was a man of warm and generous heart – may he rest in peace.
This sad irony reminds us that physical structures may come and go but the positive impact of generous service to others will outlive physical structures and extend well beyond the the boundaries of the structure.
- Parramatta Showground / Speedway?
- Westmead Hospital site?
- Westmead Printing?
- Platex Factory?
- Redbank Disability Institution?
- Old Windsor Road?
- Tin portables?
- Westmead Private Hospital site?
The mural was painted over in the April holidays 2017 under instructions from a previous principal, Brother Patrick Howlett. The sight lines to the mural were also interrupted by the erection of the large playground shade cloth.
A video of the highlights of the opening of the Westmead Campus of Parramatta Marist High and Catherine McAuley 1966, the school pool, 1967. This was converted from 8mm film. This project was financed by the Parramatta Marist Old Boys Union. There is no sound.